Is There A Lease Break Clause In A Rental Contract? | Fridays with Fred


    One of the most common questions home buyers who are currently renting in California have is if there is a lease break clause in their rental contracts.

    In this article we will answer this question and provide you with some simple solutions if you are renting an apartment or private home in California.

    Renting an Apartment

    If you’re renting an apartment in California you will have signed a 6 page lease which typically includes the ability to break your lease. There may be a consequence to breaking your lease though, like being required to pay one-months-worth of rent or your landlord may keep your security deposit.

    Renting a Private Home

    When it comes to renting a private home, townhome or condo in California there is not a Lease Break Clause in the rental contract, and some landlords may stick with Civil Code 1951.2 which states that a tenant who breaks their lease is liable to pay the rent due for the remainder of their lease term.

    The good news is that most landlords or property management companies are willing to negotiate with their tenants if they need to move due to out of state job changes, military transfers or other circumstances so it pays to tell your story about why you need to move rather than moving out first, then talking about it with your landlord.

    Break Your Lease the Right Way

    Although nobody wants to think about breaking their leases the reality is that things happen in life and for whatever reason you may need to break your lease.

    You may also be asked to find another suitable tenant for your rental property so make sure that this tenant has similar good credit and a solid rental history as you.

    Also, remember that if your lease has already expired that it doesn’t matter if you’re renting an apartment or private home, all you have to do is submit your 30-day notice and you can move out within 30 days.

    For more information regarding breaking your lease, or to view Orange County homes for sale, contact Fred Sed & Associates today by calling us at (949) 272-0125 or connect with us through our website.

    Trackback from your site.

    Leave a Reply

    About our blog

    Our agents write often to give you the latest insights on owning a home or property in the local area.