What is now the Orange County Great Park was once Marine Corps Air Station El Toro.
Construction for the El Toro Marine Base started in 1942 after the land was acquired from the Irvine Ranch Corporation and the base stayed active through the remainder of World War II, the Korean War, Vietnam and Desert Storm.
Although it was an active base during wartime, the El Toro Marine Base also served the country well during peacetime as a training facility to help troops get ready for military missions overseas during conflict.
The base was officially closed in July 1999 with plans to develop the land for commercial or residential purposes.
Long Road Ahead
Before its closure business and community leaders in Orange County wanted to develop the El Toro Marine Base land into an international airport. Although John Wayne Airport was already built, the push to move it to the El Toro Marine Base continued for many years afterwards due to John Wayne’s proximity to the Upper Newport Bay Nature Preserve and local residents. This started years of political and legal battles but they finally ended in February 2005 when the land was auctioned and purchased by Lennar Corporation with the goal of developing it into the Orange County Great Park.
Thanks to Measure W, the voter approved Great Park Plan will consist of 1,347 acres which will become the actual park while 4,639 acres will be developed into the Great Park master planned community.
To learn more about the Great Park or to view Orange County homes for sale contact Fred Sed & Associates today by calling us at (949) 272-0125.